Monday, September 20, 2010

New Addition

Two weeks ago, I had to say goodbye to a very important part of my life. I shared with you the history that SI 2.0 and I had together. While our time was brief, under a year, she quickly captured my heart and imagination through some incredible adventures together. It was wonderful to be able to share more about her and the time we had together with you. There was only one thing I didn't share with you on that day. I had already met someone new.

A New Bike in My Life

You see, despite all of their obnoxious branding, Trek Bicycles sells awesome bikes and does great business. A clear indication of these characteristics is how nicely they handled my cracked frame. I brought SI 2.0 to the local Trek Superstore and showed them the crack. They quickly filed a warrantee claim and had something new headed my way. I really appreciate Trek for standing behind their product. There is no way I could have afforded to replace my broken frame. That said, when I brought SI 2.0 to her final resting place, there was already someone new waiting for me there. There she was in an unassuming box, sitting on the floor of the shop area. Without even seeing her or making her acquaintance, I already knew her name: SI 3.0. As I removed her from the box, I immediately noticed she was clad in white, a daring and disrespectful choice to be sure, as I was saying goodbye to SI 2.0. I looked back and forth, in surprise at SI 3.0 and longingly at the worn, used, carbon and teal paint of SI 2.0. I was upset by my loss, but I knew that I had to leave SI 2.0 there at the shop, lest her damaged headtube cause a catostrophic accident in the future.

Don't Judge Me

Several days later, I returned to the Trek Superstore. The mechanics there had removed all of the parts from SI 2.0 and replaced them on SI 3.0. It saddened me to think of SI 2.0 broken and stripped bare, possibly thrown in the trash somewhere. That said, SI 3.0 looked hot. The white color she wore was more brash than the presentation of SI 2.0, and the way that my pink crankset completely clashed with her white and red colorway only added to her in your face attitude, much like a female version of Hansel. Being SI 2.0's younger sister, all of SI 2.0's components fit perfectly on her. I had to admit despite my misgivings, I had met a younger, snappier, less worn version of my old companion. In addition, there was nothing I could do to get SI 2.0 back. She was damaged and no longer usable. I accepted SI 3.0 from the mechanic and took her over to the buru to get her home.

(Here, SI 3.0 sits in front of the buru. I won't lie, the buru expressed extreme displeasure with the fact that I was already bringing someone new around, but supported us nonetheless.)

Together, the buru and I took SI 3.0 home so that we could make sure she was properly adjusted, hoping to take her out on some trails and get to know her better in the not too distant future.

Our Relationship Thus Far

Unfortunately, the last couple of weeks have remained busy and for much of that time, my leg remained sore, so I have only gotten to ride SI 3.0 once. On that one ride she performed admirably, and by admirably I mean pretty much exactly like SI 2.0. Let's be honest, she was built exactly like Superfly 2.0, so the ride is exactly the same. For the way things have worked out there, I am very pleased. In other areas, our relationship has been a little more rocky. Since she insists on wearing white all the time, SI 3.0 has proven to be a lot more high maintenance. In order to keep looking so flashy, she has to be constant cleaned and tended to. This is not the only area in which she requires additional attention. SI 2.0 understood, perhaps better than I did, that she was just a bike. She sat quietly leaned against the wall or clamped into my work stand when not in use. She understood that I have a busy life and just moved into a new place and that I sometimes wouldn't be able to take her out as often as we both liked. SI 3.0 is just the opposite. She incessantly complains when she is not in use. She always reminds me that she is more at home on a trail than leaning against the wall in the living room. I try to tell her that I would like to be riding more too, but my claims fall on deaf handlebars. In addition, she doesn't always take care of me the way SI 2.0 did. The one time we did go out for a ride, she didn't make me an after ride snack. This was something SI 2.0 always thoughfully did. I'm not ready to give up on her, as some of this is probably my fault. Whether spoken aloud, or simply considered in my mind, I am constantly comparing her to SI 2.0. I miss her teal and the way it went great with my pink crankset. I still have every right to miss her because it's only been a few weeks, right? The fact is, SI 2.0 was broken and I needed a new frame, but maybe I did move on too fast. Wherever she is, I just hope SI 2.0 understands.

Adelante!

-Clint

No comments:

Post a Comment