Sunday, December 11, 2011

Given

"In the giving it becomes clear that we are chosen, blessed and broken not simply for our own sakes, but so that all we live finds it's final significance in its being lived for others."

"(We) know from experience the joy that comes from being able to do for another person. You have done much for me, and I will always be grateful to you for what you have given me. Part of my gratitude, however, is the result of seeing you so happy in giving me so much. It is so much easier to be grateful for a gift given in joy than for a gift given with hesitation or reluctance."

- Henri J.M. Nouwen, The Life of the Beloved

This book is written in the from of a letter from Nouwen to one of his best friends, a man who does not share his faith. It is an incredible read for those who already believe in Christ. Nouwen (along with his disciple, Brennan Manning) writes in a poignant manner that identifies with the pain of the human condition while staying focused on our capacity for joy, love and hope. I'm loving the way this book speaks to me and it's reigniting a flame that's been a little dim lately. 

1 comment:

  1. An eloquent expression from Nouwen and good reminder to see and appreciate a gift from both sides, the giver and recipient.

    ReplyDelete