Thursday, October 21, 2010

Disparities

Some weeks in the field I learn and see more than others. Last week in Puerto Penasco was certainly an example of one of those weeks. The group and family that I worked with were both incredible. I got to know some of my Amor friends and coworkers better. I got the tiniest bit more proficient at Spanish. And the desert sunrises and sunsets were incredible. It's hard to remember and keep track of everything that went through my head and heart during the week, but I have at least one more solid lesson to share following it.

Resort Town?

Many of the people for whom we build homes in Penasco are amongst the poorest we serve. As I mentioned in my previous post, the Flores Meza family's income was just $56 a week. Part of what makes this so unbelievable is what Penasco and neighboring Las Conchas have become to American visitors. Because of the beautiful desert, dunes and ocean, this area has become a very popular vacation spot for Americans. It's convenience is a big part of it's popularity, as it sits just over an hour from the border and within several hours of Phoenix. Over the last 20 years, luxury resorts and condos have sprung up in parts of Penasco (Rocky Point to many Americans) and Las Conchas. Whenever I travel highway 8, the main pipeline in and out of Penasco, I am struck by the fact that I lead missionaries with shovels and tools in their vehicles as we are surrounded RV's carrying 4-wheelers and other toys.

In truth, many of the people who visit Penasco on vacation have no idea just how bad things are in the areas that they don't frequent. I observed the shock on the faces of people who have vacationed in the area and never knew the extent of the poverty around them. Despite the fact that ignorance is bliss, I have found myself frustrated and in judgment of the people who visit Penasco for extravagant fun while such dire need exists there. The disparity between Americans with money to spare and the homeless Mexicans within miles has been too much for me to stand at moments.

Personal Reflection

Whenever I find myself in a position casting judgment on others, I try to take a step back for a more objective point of view. One of my favorite things to do is think about Jesus when a mob brought an adulteress to him and demanded that she be stoned. In this story, Jesus bends down to write something on the ground while everyone waits for his response. What he wrote is not revealed in scripture. It is my thought that the reason we don't find out what Jesus wrote is because it is irrelevant to the reaction of the crowd. What is relevant is that he gave them time. Time to consider the hypocrisy of their outrage and demands.

I gave myself a few moments of pause this week to reflect on the way I have judged those that don't understand or help what is going on in Penasco. I immediately looked to my living situation. Two things struck me. My lifestyle is not as comfortable as it once was, but globally speaking, I am living high on the hog. I eat well everyday, have far more clothes than I need, have far more bikes than I need and drive a car that is way beyond my needs. All this while I live 20 miles from Tijuana, a place where people often struggle to get a roof over their head and clean water to drink. If I look even closer, I live in an extremely diverse and impoverished area of San Diego. My apartment is on the border of City Heights and according to geographic information collected in 2005, the median household income was $19,393. The average household at that time consisted of five family members. That's just $3,879 a year for each person to survive on.

As I look at everything that Americans are missing as they pass through Penasco everyday, I also have to consider all of the needs as I am a passerby in my own neighborhood. Life is complicated and full of distractions, some worth pursuing and others not. Our lives and perception of our own needs certainly get in the way of helping those around us. As Jesus calmly draws in the sand and waits for me, I need to look inside, take stock and come to a better understanding of my true needs. Excising some of the wants that I believe to be necessities in my life can certainly put me in position to better serve those around me. I know that this will be a process and I know that I'm not ready to give up many of the things I should. Despite how daunting and discouraging striving toward these goals can be, I know where I can start.

I am going to put down my stone.

Adelante!

-Clint

3 comments:

  1. you hit penasco right on the head, after all these builds i still cant quite reason out the morality of the huge economic problem down there. love the blog keep goin strong, hope to see you in november.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts. I'm glad this resonated with you. It's a good thought to take home with us.

    ReplyDelete