Monday, April 19, 2010

The End of a Season

Since I began work with a public accounting firm, tax season has come to define a large part of my year. From January to April, I have to reconcile myself with the fact that most things in my life have to come secondary to my work schedule. This has nothing to do with having irrational or overly demanding employers, mine are quite the opposite. The sort of dominance that tax season exerts over one's life is simply the nature of tax accounting.



This tax season was particularly challenging because I have so much to do in order to prepare for my trip across the country and my year long internship with Amor. As usually happens, the beginning of April came and I simply had to understand the fact that I would be doing little aside from working. For the most part, I stopped riding my bike and working out, watching helplessly as my waistline grew. Worse, I have had little time to commit to my preparation for Amor. Even worse yet, I have not had the opportunity to spend time with my family and friends and visit the places I'd like to before I leave. Fortunately, I've been helped along throughout this busy season.



The first big encouragement came in the form of finding a place to live. I had been overwhelmed by the prospect of finding a new home in San Diego. I started to search for a place, but quickly found that it was difficult to evaluate all the variables of selecting an apartment in a city that was foreign to me. At the point I had given up and decided to wait until I got to San Diego to find a place, I stumbled upon an ideal living situation. In briefly looking at online classifieds, I found an apartment at a reasonable price. Upon further examination, I found that my roommate in this apartment would be a guy my age who also happened to work for Amor. A few e-mails later, I had a new apartment and a new roommate. I'm very excited about this opportunity being presented and am confident that it will work out well. Next, the financial obligation in order for me to start on with Amor was met. I still have a really long way to go in order to fundraise my full goal, but thanks to a few supportive friends and family, I have a great start. Finally, I got to see my parents this weekend. They arrived Saturday to pack up some of my belonging that will go into storage. My mother also brought one of my favorite childhood meals, her homemade chicken parmesan. It was strange knowing that this is the last time I will see them before I take off for the year, but it was great getting to spend some time with my Mom, Dad and little brother Matthew.

Overall, whenever I'm looking for some positive reinforcement, I'm finding it. Since tax season ended, I have begun packing and also just taking some time for myself and those close to me. It's crazy how it's all going by so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment