Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Home

Anyone that knows me well knows that I consider being a Virginian part of my identity. You need look no further than the belt buckle I wear everyday to see how much I love my home.

Yes. Every. Single. Day.

Although we moved around the midatlantic a bit when I was a youngster, my formative years were spent in The Commonwealth. My home state has so much to appreciate. The northern area brushes up against and is essentially a part of our nation's capital. There are beautiful historic towns and cities, including Williamsburg, Lexington and Richmond. Battlegrounds cover our green rolling hills. We have beaches for vacationing. Finally, there is my alma mater, Virginia Tech, nestled in the beautiful, exciting Blue Ridge Mountains. State pride runs deep in Virginia. I have often said we are just like Texas in this regard, apart from the fact that we actually have something to be proud of.

Leaving such an incredible home was challenging for me. I think it is a gift to be able to love your home and have such a strong emotional connection to it. My loyalty to my school and love of the outdoors weren't the only things that made me appreciate Virginia so much. I have great friends there. Friends who have been with me for years and helped me throughout my life. For all of these reasons, I was extremely excited to finally return to Virginia around Thanksgiving.

While most of my time was spent in Hershey with my parents during my east coast visit, I was able to get some time back home in VA. The two places I was able to visit were my hometown of Warrenton and the city of Richmond. Warrenton is a beautiful small town surrounded by farmland and other natural beauty. The absolute highlight of my time in Warrenton was being baptized just down the road in the Rappahannock river by my parents.

Mom, Dad and myself after I came up, all smiles:

I also got to spend some great quality time with some guys that have been a really important part of my life and eat at a couple of my favorite restaurants. Richmond holds some tremendous memories and nostalgia for me as well. While in Richmond, I was able to take my dog for walks down beautiful, historic streets and go on a 12 mile run that covered some gorgeous areas that embody some great memories for me. I also got to see the charter school where my brother Jason and his Fiancee Caitlin worked all last year.

Typical Richmond street, perfect for walking your dog in the fall:

As I sat in a coffee shop studying one morning, I stared out the window. I looked out the window at colonial homes and changing leaves, and wondered if I could ever feel at home the way I do in Virginia and doubted that it was possible. The days went on and I returned to Hershey, excited to be able to spend time with my family.

The trees were still on fire in parts of Pennsylvania and Virginia:

Toward the end of the trip, I found myself confiding that it was awesome to be with family, but a big part of me couldn't wait to get home. It was this involuntary reference to San Diego as home that made me come to a realization. I love Virginia and I love my family, but I also love where I am now. San Diego itself may never carry the nostalgia that Virginia does for me, but the people will. It is incredible how quickly I have formed amazing relationships and how much and how quickly I miss them when I am away. Home is more than having all four seasons, the Blue Ridge Mountains and some great memories. Home is, well, where you feel at home. It's that place where you feel like you are hitting your stride, loving others, and feeling loved. Right now I am in that sweet spot, and I have the rare privilege of calling two places home. To everyone in San Diego and Virginia that have been in my life and made me feel this way, thank you.


Home at last.

Adelante!

-Clint

3 comments:

  1. So glad you find SD home, my Virginia grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come home and get cornfed! Love Ya! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, seriously, stop referring to me as your grandson, we can compromise with off color, sarcastic aunt, if you would like. Mom, can't wait to see you. I need to get vegetable and lean meat fed, I'm still working off the weight from Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete